Jump to Main Content
- Taylor, Jimmy D., Yarrow, Grag K., and Miller, James E.
- Wildlife damage management technical series 2017
- The American beaver (Castor canadensis) is known as an “ecosystem engineer” because of the benefits their dams provide to biological diversity and ecosystem function. It also is considered a “keystone species” because of its ability to transform its environment, creating new habitats upon which other species depend. Despite the many positive benefits beavers provide through foraging and dam building, beavers also create conflict with people when their activities cause damage. The focus of this publication is to provide basic information on beaver ecology, damage, and management.
- 1 online resource (21 pages)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- USDA publications