Jump to Main Content
Animal Welfare; Importation of Live Dogs : 9 CFR Part 2
- United Stated Department of Agricuture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Federal Register 2014 v. 79 no. 159
- We are amending the regulations to implement an amendment to the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 added a new section to the AWA to restrict the importation of certain live dogs. Consistent with this amendment, this rule prohibits the importation of dogs, with limited exceptions, from any part of the world into the continental United States or Hawaii for purposes of resale, research, or veterinary treatment, unless the dogs are in good health, have received all necessary vaccinations, and are at least 6 months of age. This action is necessary to implement the amendment to the AWA and will help to ensure the welfare of imported dogs.
- Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration
- Animal Welfare Act History Digital Collection