Jump to Main Content
Animal Welfare; Retail Pet Stores and Licensing Exemptions; Technical Amendment : 9 CFR Part 2
- United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Federal Register 2015 v. 80 no. 15
- In a final rule published in the Federal Register on September 18, 2013, and effective on November 18, 2013, we amended the regulations concerning the definition of retail pet store and related regulations in order to ensure that the definition in the regulations is consistent with the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), thereby bringing more pet animals sold at retail under the protection of the AWA. As part of that action, we raised from three to four the maximum number of female breeding dogs, cats, or certain other animals that a person can maintain and be exempted from licensing, as long as they sell only the offspring of those animals born and raised on their premises for pets or exhibition and are not otherwise required to obtain a license. In the final rule, we overlooked raising the number of breeding females in one provision in the regulations concerning animal purchases by dealers and exhibitors. This document corrects the oversight.
- Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration
- Animal Welfare Act History Digital Collection