Jump to Main Content
Animal Welfare; Standards
- United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Federal Register 1990 v. 55 no. 158
- We are proposing to amend the regulations for the humane handling, care, treatment, and transportation of dogs and cats, and nonhuman primates, by completely revising and rewriting those regulations. This proposed rule is a revision of a proposed rule previously published in the Federal Register on March 15,1989. The revised proposed rule reflects our consideration of the approximately 10,700 comments received in response to that proposal, our experience in administering and enforcing the regulations, and our ongoing consultation with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and other interested agencies. The effect of this action would be to update the regulations, to make them more consistent with other Federal regulations concerning the handling, care, treatment, and transportation of these animals, and to comply with the amendments to the Animal Welfare Act (7 U.S.C. 2131, et seq.), enacted December 23,1985. Rewriting the regulations is also intended to make them easier to understand, thereby increasing compliance and making them more effective.
- United States Government Printing Office
- Animal Welfare Act History Digital Collection