Jump to Main Content
Targeting benefits to pregnant women in the WIC program : phase I, report of the WIC benefit targeting project
- Schafft, Gretchen Engle., United States, Food and Nutrition Service., Office of Analysis and Evaluation., and COSMOS Corporation
- pregnancy and maternal nutrition
- Abstract: The objective of the WIC program is to provide supplemental food, nutrition education, and referral to good health care for program participants in order to improve their health. The program serves low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, as well as infants and children up to 5 years of age, who meet the program's criteria for nutritional risk. Recently the desirability of directing WIC resources to eligible women during pregnancy has been recognized. This has been heightened by the increased national concern with infant mortality rates and awareness of the importance of good health care and nutrition during pregnancy. This report is designed to provide information to the WIC community regarding some of the practices being used to bring pregnant women into programs providing prenatal services.
- x, 69,  p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Office of Analysis and Evaluation, Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
- USDA publications
- Permanent URL: