Jump to Main Content
Humane Treatment of Dogs; Tethering; Clarification. Rules and Regulations
- United States Government Publishing Office and United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- Federal Register 1997 v. 62 no. 186
- On August 13, 1997, we published in the Federal Register (62 FR 43272-43275, Docket No. 95-078-2) a final rule that removed the option for facilities regulated under the Animal Welfare Act to use tethering as a means of primary enclosure. We also added a provision to the regulations to permit regulated facilities to temporarily tether a dog if they obtain approval from the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. The purpose of this notice is to clarify what kinds of facilities are regulated under the Animal Welfare Act and, subsequently, what kinds of facilities must comply with the final rule on tethering.
- 2 p.
- Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration
- Animal Welfare Act History Digital Collection