Jump to Main Content
Taxing snack foods : what to expect for diet and tax revenues
- Kuchler, Fred., Tegene, Abebayehu., Harris, J. Michael., United States, Department of Agriculture., and Economic Research Service.
- Snack foods, Taxation, Weight loss, Food habits, Economic aspects, Tax revenue estimating, Obesity, Junk food, Excise tax, snack foods, and taxes
- Health researchers and health policy advocates have proposed levying excise taxes on snack foods as a possible way to address the growing prevalence of obesity and overweight in the United States. Some proposals suggest higher prices alone will change consumers' diets. Others claim that change will be possible if earmarked taxes are used to fund an information program. This research examines the potential impact of excise taxes on snack foods, using baseline data from a household survey of food purchases.
- Economic Research Serivce, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
- Agriculture information bulletin ; no. 747-08 and Current issues in economics of food markets
- USDA publications
- Permanent URL: