Jump to Main Content
Taxing snack foods : what to expect for diet and tax revenues
- Kuchler, Fred., Tegene, Abebayehu., Harris, J. Michael., and United States Department of Agriculture. Economic Research Service.
- Agriculture information bulletin ; no. 747-08 2004
- Snack foods -- Taxation -- United States, Weight loss -- United States, Food habits -- Economic aspects -- United States, Tax revenue estimating -- United States, Obesity -- United States, Junk food -- Taxation -- United States, Excise tax -- United States, snack foods, taxes, and United States
- Health researchers and health policy advocates have proposed levying excise taxes on snack foods as a possible way to address the growing prevalence of obesity and overweight in the United States. Some proposals suggest higher prices alone will change consumers' diets. Others claim that change will be possible if earmarked taxes are used to fund an information program. This research examines the potential impact of excise taxes on snack foods, using baseline data from a household survey of food purchases.
- Economic Research Serivce, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
- USDA publications