Jump to Main Content
Trade liberalization in international dairy markets : estimated impacts
- Langley, Suchada Vichitakul., Somwaru, Agapi., Normile, Mary Anne., and United States Department of Agriculture. Economic Research Service.
- Trade liberalization in international dairy markets 2006
- Dairy products industry -- Economic aspects, Free trade -- Economic aspects, dairy products, dairy industry, and trade liberalization
- This report examines issues related to modeling complex policy regimes that affect international dairy markets using a partial equilibrium, multiple-commodity, multiregion model of agricultural policy and trade. Average bound tariffs for dairy remain among the highest of all agricultural commodities and dairy trade is characterized by a large number of megatariffs and tariff-rate quotas (TRQs). In addition to tariffs and TRQs, countries have used milk production quotas to control milk production. Modeling results indicate that liberalization would reduce world dairy product supplies and increase the value of dairy trade.
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Economic Research Service
- USDA publications